#TuesdayNewsday is the weekly trip through the headlines of the strategy gaming world
Would you believe we’re not done with our coverage yet? Seriously. There’s still more coming later this week.
WARGAME HQ EVENTS ~ MiD PREVIEW EPISODE ~ WARGAME HQ EVENT PREVIEWS ~ ADVICE FOR ROOKIES ~ CONSOLIDATED WARGAMING EVENT GRID ~ EXHIBITOR SPOTLIGHT ~ THE MAILBAG
SETUP & FIRST GAMES ~ ABOVE THE SHOW ~ DAY 1 REPORT ~ DAY 2 REPORT ~ DAYS 3 & 4 REPORT ~ EXHIBIT HALL ~ GAMEPLAY PHOTOS ~
WARGAME HQ EVENT REPORT ~ SPOTLIGHT ~ THE RAFFLE ~ CONVENTION PHOTOS
THE SPIRITUAL SOJOURN ~ AAR
DISCUSSION FORUM THREAD
Other Coverage of Origins:
ANDREW BUCHOLTZ ~ ARDWULF ~ ICv2 ~ RAGING OWLBEAR ~ MY OWN WORST ENEMY
- Per email from Dana Lombardy, The Great War card game is now shipping
- Hollandspiele released Kaiju Table Battles
- Strategic Command: American Civil War – 1904 Imperial Sunrise DLC was released by Matrix Games
- HPS has released Punic Wars 2, their latest digital wargame
- Miniature Market has the new version of Kingmaker, and $20 cheaper than most places, too
Crowdfunding or pre-orders ~ if you can pre-order it now, here it is
- By the time you’re reading this, Eylau 1807 will have launched on Gamefound from Sound of Drums
- MMP’s got Armies of Oblivion up on p
500700 but has a ways to go yet
- It’s not a true “pre-order” yet because they haven’t set price or timing, but Thin Red Line Games has their first non-WW3 game – The Fate of All – on their site where you can ‘reserve’ a copy by emailing them
- NUTS! Publishing has the 2nd edition of Stalingrad Roads on pre-order
- For fans of the gamebooks, Martin Wallace has created a card game for Fighting Fantasy Adventures: Campaign One
Stretch your budget a little further with these deals
- Kraken Dice has a pretty robust Fourth of July sale going on
- GMT’s trying to clear out a few games
- S&T’s game-edition magazine sale this week is S&T #224 with The Sedan Campaign 1870
What were the Dragoons up to this past week?
- Saturday Night Fights ~ The Battle of Waterloo (II) for “Valour and Fortitude”
- This week’s Origins coverage?
- Patrick’s daily reports
- On-Site Origins 2023 ~ Above The Convention
- On-Site Origins 2023 ~ Exhibit Hall
- Origins 2023 ~ Wargame HQ Event Report
- Origins 2023 ~ My Spiritual Sojourn to Origins 2023 (all 8000+ words of it!)
- Diving back into our own archives ~ The Joy of Discovery, or A Love-Letter to a Bygone Era of Gaming
- The Giant Civ 6 AAR: Nubia, Part 23
- The Grand “Champions of Krynn” AAR ~ Part 11
- Gameplay this week
- This week in our forums
- Barthheart is continuing his rundown of his Flashpoint Campaigns game against UCG
- What would you pay for Rommel’s War?
- Already talking about Cities: Skylines II and it doesn’t release for a few months yet
- Will we ever stop talking about Stellaris? Will talk about it until the boardgame finally ships, so… probably not.
- Upcoming Dragoons Events (and don’t forget to check the event calendar for everything else)
- Wargame Days at The Gamer’s Armory in Cary, NC ~ 9 July (delayed for long holiday weekend), 6 August, and 10 September (skipping ahead bc of Labor Day)
- Next #UnboxingDay1 will be 20 July
- Next virtual event is The 2024 ACDC, 12-14 January 2024
- Next live event is The Inaugural Armchair Dragoons Fall Assembly 2023, 20-22 October 2023, The Gamer’s Armory, Cary NC
What was the wargame that made you realize you were a "wargamer"?
Not necessarily the first wargame you ever played (though it could be that, too), but the one that made you think "this is where I want to spend my gaming time / effort / energy"
— The Armchair Dragoons (@ADragoons) July 3, 2023
Our fellow content creators from the wargaming world
- Rocky explores the Urban Operations expansion for Twilight: 2000
- Moe gives you an advance look at Second Fallujah from the next issue of Paper Wars Magazine
- Liz over at Beyond Solitaire gives you her thoughts on In Magnificent Style
- Pushing Cardboard talks to Sean Druelinger from LNLP about Point Blank: V Is For Victory, and other stuff
- Ardwulf’s counter clipping stream talked about Gettysburg, given the Anniversary this week and all…
News & notes from the business end of the gaming world
- Ask your backers to pay for shipping, then pay more for shipping, then tell them their pallets won’t ship until next Summer unless they pay more again, and then… dox your backers?! Probably not found in a book of best business practices.
- Long and heartfelt designer notes from Amabel Holland here about the new Kaiju Table Battles game
- What happens when you broadcast your war plans as “news”? Avalanche Press can tell you all about it.
- This is… well, it’s something all right, but we’re not 100% sure what yet
Wait, wha? These guys?! (note screenshot is from TODAY)
— The Armchair Dragoons (@ADragoons) July 3, 2023
- 7-9 July Human Wave (Washington, DC)
- 19-23 July Historicon (Lancaster, PA)
- 22-30 July WBC (Seven Springs, PA)
- 3-6 August GenCon (Indianapolis, IN)
- 17-20 August HistoriKC Fest (Kansas City, MO)
- 18-20 August SDHistEast (Portsmouth, RI)
- 25 August-2 September ConSimWorld Expo 2023 (Phoenix, AZ)
- 20-22 October The Inaugural Armchair Dragoons Fall Assembly 2023 (Cary, NC)
As announced on our podcast on 3/31
The Inaugural Armchair Dragoons Fall Assembly 2023
20-22 October 2023
The Gamer’s Armory, Cary NC
Details will be announced after we get back from Buckeye Game Fest, and registration will open this Summer before we head off to Origins, and will be capped around 40 or so attendees.
In partnership with The Gamer’s Armory, we’ve got our first in-person convention coming up in October, where we’ll be taking over about half of the store. We’ll be playing games in probably the biggest vendor booth you’ll see at a convention, and making plenty of new friends.
Stay tuned for details!
As a reminder, Regimental Patron-level Patreon supporters get a free badge for all Armchair Dragoons-hosted events.
Don’t forget we’ve got a dedicated area of our forums for the professional wargamers.
- Big NATO wargaming conference in Rome this week, and there’s feedback from several places
- Vehicle recovery isn’t something that’s wargamed often, but can be very important
- Canada getting serious about wargaming?
- The next GUWS webinar is Why You Should Be Megagaming on 15 August
- PaxSims talks about how to grow new wargamers
- From our Connections Online livestream archive
Something neat from outside the wargaming world we thought was worth sharing
That’s all for this week!
Be sure to drop by our forums and join the fun, and next Tuesday we’ll drop some more news on you.
We appreciate you visiting the Armchair Dragoons and hope that you enjoy our weekly news dumps!
Please leave us your feedback in our discussion forum, or in the comment area below.
You can also find the regiment on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, and occasionally at a convention near you.
In the weekly wargaming news,
We focus on info you can use,
From tabletop to digits,
And the occasional fidgets,
Missing it would give you the blues!